What kinds of plastic and cosmetic procedures are the most popular for men?
According to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, plastic surgeries performed for men have increased close to 30 percent over the past decade. Women still account for the vast majority of procedures, by far, but thanks to selfies, social media and a near obsession with looking younger, requests for nips, tucks, and makeovers for men are definitely on the rise.
In the not-so-distant past, plastic surgery or nonsurgical treatment techniques like Botox were considered decidedly unmanly and, if pursued, were definitely not talked about. In fact, it hasn’t been that long since women also went to great lengths to hide having any sort of work done. Tabloids did their best to deny privacy to celebrities, and, then, social media brought cosmetic surgery into the mainstream and brushed away any lingering shreds of stigma.
This may have taken a bit longer for men, but they also want to look their best. Maintaining more youthful appearance factors into men’s work lives and is more than just a personal goal. Career progression has changed. In today’s job market, it has become the norm to actually change jobs rather than move up through the ranks with the same employer. This requires going through the interview process multiple times, each time with the possibility of competing with those who are younger. Many believe that age discrimination is alive and well and that any advantage that cosmetic procedures can give is well worth the cost.
Top 10 Male Plastic Surgeries
Based on the most recent plastic surgery statistical report published by the American Society of Plastic Surgeons in 2020, the following are the 10 procedures most often requested by men, including the number done in 2019:
- Rhinoplasty (nose shaping), 49,528 – men have always sought nose surgery for functional reasons, like injuries, sinus issues, birth defects and having a deviated septum, but now they are equally interested in procedures performed solely for appearance.
- Blepharoplasty (eyelid surgery), 31,533 – droopy or sagging lids can not only interfere with vision but also add years to the face.
- Liposuction (30,288) – more and more men are asking about “daddy do-overs” as they start to age and add fat around the midsection. As we age, it can become harder to remove some of the more stubborn pockets. This is where liposuction can be especially helpful.
- Gynecomastia surgery (male breast reduction), 24,123 – overly large breasts can have a serious effect on self-esteem, starting with young boys and continuing through life.
- Hair transplants, 17,050
- Rhytidectomy (facelift), 12,597 – also a component of the daddy do-over demand.
- Otoplasty (ear surgery), 9,534 – this is done to make changes in the size, shape, or position of the ears.
- Mentoplasty (chin augmentation), 9,405 – this is a reshaping of the chin to replace what may be viewed as a weak chin with one that appears stronger.
- Abdominoplasty (tummy tuck), 4,549 -the third piece of the daddy do-over.
- Forehead lift, 4,380 – often called a brow lift, this procedure is designed to lessen the appearance of lines and wrinkles by raising the eyebrows.
Dr. Brian D. Cohen is a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon with extensive training in cosmetic/reconstructive plastic surgery and has had years of experience performing a wide array of cosmetic surgery procedures, specializing in procedures of the face, eyes, nose, breast, and body and is known for his exemplary and compassionate care by his patients. Knowing that Dr. Cohen has been selected by his peers in Super Doctors for 9 years in a row in 2021 gives you the confidence that he is highly respected for his performance in his specialty.
Information on locations and office hours for Cohen Plastic Surgery can be found by clicking here.