What are some of the things I should ask a prospective surgeon during the initial evaluation for rhinoplasty surgery?
Rhinoplasty, or a nose job as it is more commonly known, continues to be one of the most requested types of plastic surgery. Many types of cosmetic or plastic surgery are performed solely for the purpose of improving appearance, whether it is on the face or other parts of the body. Rhinoplasty is also a procedure that is often sought to make the size or shape of the nose more appealing or more in balance with the rest of the features of the face, but it is also often done to correct health issues.
Some of the most common reasons for choosing rhinoplasty include:
- Changing the size of the nose because it appears too long or too broad
- Straightening a crooked nose or aligning the symmetry of a nose that became misshapen due to injury or at birth
- Removing a noticeable bump or lump from the bridge of the nose
- Modifying a drooping or bulbous tip
- To correct breathing issues due to structural problems in the nasal passages
- Changing the shape of the nose to one that matches the individual’s preferences
This is only a partial list of motivators for surgically altering the nose and even within this list, there are variations on each one. When considering rhinoplasty, there are probably two considerations that should rise to the very top of your list: clarity on your own particular motivation for wanting the surgery and finding the most qualified surgeon to perform the procedure. The good news is that if you make sure you consult with a highly skilled and qualified plastic surgeon, he or she will guide you in determining your reasons for wanting it done and make sure that your expectations are realistic.
Choosing the Best Rhinoplasty Surgeon
Once you have decided that you want to have rhinoplasty, how will you know if you have chosen the right surgeon? Many people assume that all doctors have similar qualifications or are too uncomfortable to ask the really important questions. This is unfortunate because, no matter how popular a procedure has become or how many people think of it as routine, surgery always comes with risk. Your health and well-being is ultimately your responsibility, so do your homework. If you can get personal recommendations, start there.
What to Ask Your Surgeon
Recommendations or not, there are some basic questions that, not only should you ask, but your prospective surgeon should be happy to answer.
This list should, hopefully, be useful in helping you connect with the rhinoplasty surgeon that is right for you:
- Start with education and training and be sure to specifically ask about training in plastic surgery.
- Board certification and professional membership, specifically membership in the American Board of Plastic Surgery and the American Society of Plastic Surgeons.
- If the procedure will be performed in a hospital, where does the surgeon have rhinoplasty surgery privileges?
- If the procedure will be performed in the doctor’s office, ask about licensing and accrediting bodies.
- Ask why the surgeon believes you are a good candidate for this procedure.
- Ask about the particular surgical technique that will be used for your procedure.
- Make sure your expectations and that of the surgeon are the same. Ask to see before and after photos of previous patients having the same procedure.
- Ask about the recovery process. What to expect and how to prepare.
- Be sure to understand the risks and potential complications.
- Inquire about your options if you are not satisfied with the results.
Once you get started, other questions may occur to you and many that you don’t think of will be covered by the doctor without your asking. That old saying about the only dumb question being one that you don’t ask is doubly true when it comes to pre-surgery preparation. Last but not least, if you are not comfortable asking questions of a particular surgeon, it may be a sign that you should keep looking.
Dr. Brian D. Cohen is a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon with extensive training in cosmetic/reconstructive plastic surgery and has had years of experience performing a wide array of cosmetic surgery procedures, specializing in procedures of the face, eyes, nose, breast and body and is known for his exemplary and compassionate care by his patients. Knowing that Dr. Cohen has been selected by his peers in Super Doctors for 7 years in a row in 2019 gives you the confidence that he is highly respected for his performance in his specialty.
Information on locations and office hours for Cohen Plastic Surgery can be found by clicking here.