What are the most popular plastic surgery procedures for men?
Whether you believe it should be the case or not, appearance matters in our world. We place a high value on the presentation and maintenance of our homes, places of business and means of transportation. Why should it be any different with our bodies and personal appearance? Women have always been more comfortable when it comes to making this a priority, but men are catching up quickly. This is true, not simply in fashion and exercise programs to bulk up or achieve those coveted six-pack abs, but also in seeking the changes that can be achieved through plastic surgery.
Cosmetic procedures that may have been considered unmanly in the past have now entered the mainstream for men of all ages. There are still more procedures done for women but, in roughly the last decade, cosmetic procedures requested by men have risen more than 40 percent.
Most Popular Plastic Surgery and Cosmetic Procedures for Men
Men request a wide range of procedures but some of the currently most requested include:
- Liposuction – this involves inserting a hollow tube under the skin and pulling fat cells out via a suction machine.
- Gynecomastia surgery – this is male breast reduction accomplished by the removal of glandular tissue and excess fat cells to create a flatter and firmer shape to the chest.
- Blepharoplasty – eyelid surgery to remove excess skin and lift eyelids that have begun to droop. This can be done solely for cosmetic reasons but is also done to restore vision that has become impaired by the drooping eyelid.
- Rhinoplasty – nose surgery may be done to help patients breathe better or reduce sinus infections, but they have become increasingly popular procedures designed to change the shape of the nose to make it smaller, straighter or more attractive in some way.
- Facelift – we are an aging population but no one wants that fact to be written on their face, so men, as well as women, are opting for facelifts that are designed to tighten, smooth and erase as many of the telltale signs of age as possible.
- Botox – requested for the same reasons as facelifts, Botox is less invasive and does not come with the lengthy recovery period. As time goes on more uses for Botox are being discovered. Not only is it effective in smoothing and removing lines on the face and neck, but it is also recommended to reduce heavy sweating, relax muscle spasms and relieve migraines.
These and other procedures, like neck lifts, tummy tucks, brow lifts, tattoo and scar removal, and chin augmentation are increasingly being requested by men. There is every reason to expect this trend to continue.
What is certainly the same for men seeking plastic surgery as it is for women is to make sure to seek out a highly qualified and experienced plastic surgeon. In addition, it is important to have clear and realistic goals regarding the expected outcome. Learn as much as possible about the procedure so that you fully understand the risks and the things that you can do to make the experience as successful as possible.
Dr. Brian D. Cohen is a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon with extensive training in cosmetic/reconstructive plastic surgery and has had years of experience performing a wide array of cosmetic surgery procedures, specializing in procedures of the face, eyes, nose, breast and body and is known for his exemplary and compassionate care by his patients. Knowing that Dr. Cohen has been selected by his peers in Super Doctors for 6 years in a row in 2018 gives you the confidence that he is highly respected for his performance in his specialty.
Information on locations and office hours for Cohen Plastic Surgery can be found by clicking here.