What are the most popular types of cosmetic body procedures being done today?
According to the latest report from the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS), the number of cosmetic procedures in the U.S., both surgical and minimally-invasive, continues to be on the rise. This reflects, not only Americans desire to look and feel their best, but also the fact that these procedures have consistently improved.
Globally, just the noninvasive and minimally invasive procedures that target fat deposits are predicted to top a billion dollars by the year 2022. These include procedures like liposuction, cool sculpting and injectables.
Following the release of their report, the ASPS declared it to be the “the year of the body” because so many of the most often done procedures focused on reshaping or re-contouring the body.
Most Popular Cosmetic Surgical Procedures
Based on the ASPS survey, the five most performed cosmetic surgical procedures are:
- Breast augmentation – also known as augmentation mammoplasty and breast implant surgery, this is done to increase the size of the breast.
- Liposuction – a body contouring procedure, also known as lipoplasty, removes fat deposits from the hips, thighs, abdomen, arms and other areas of the body by means of small incisions through which a cannula, or thin tube, connected to a suction device, is inserted.
- Rhinoplasty – commonly referred to as a “nose job”, the shape of the nose is changed or corrected to improve appearance. Often, at the same time, structural changes can also address breathing issues.
- Blepharoplasty – this is eyelid surgery, which may be done on either the upper or lower eyelids, or both. This procedure is typically done to correct sagging skin that distorts the shape of the eyelid and may impair vision, as well as puffiness, bags beneath the eye and even some small wrinkles.
- Abdominoplasty – more recognizably known as a tummy tuck, in this procedure, excess skin and fat following surgery, pregnancy or major weight loss is removed, allowing a tightening of the abdomen, which results in a firmer, smoother appearance.
Most Popular Minimally-Invasive Cosmetic Procedures
The five most often performed minimally-invasive cosmetic procedures, based on the ASPS survey, are:
- BOTOX – technically, botulinum toxin type A, is the extremely popular, safe and quick injection that reduces lines and wrinkles, predominantly on the face and neck. One of the most appreciated benefits is that there is little discomfort and no downtime.
- Soft tissue fillers – also known as dermal fillers, products like Restylane and Juvederm reduce facial lines by adding volume to smooth and restore fullness.
- Chemical peel – outer layers of the skin that have been damaged by age, sun or acne, are removed with a chemical solution.
- Laser hair removal – removal of unwanted body hair with noninvasive but highly concentrated pulses of light. This procedure also inhibits the future growth of hair in the areas targeted.
- Microdermabrasion – mildly abrasive treatment designed for issues like light scarring, age spots and sun damage.
Many of these procedures are combined to enhance the results. This has also contributed to the continued increase in popularity.
Dr. Brian D. Cohen is a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon with extensive training in cosmetic/reconstructive plastic surgery and has had years of experience performing a wide array of cosmetic surgery procedures, specializing in procedures of the face, eyes, nose, breast and body and is known for his exemplary and compassionate care by his patients. Knowing that Dr. Cohen has been selected by his peers in Super Doctors for 8 years in a row in 2020 gives you the confidence that he is highly respected for his performance in his specialty.
Information on locations and office hours for Cohen Plastic Surgery can be found by clicking here.